Skip to content

The Book Trade is Going to the Dog

18/05/2006

The Competition Commission has finally cleared HMV’s bid for Ottakar’s. Now tell me, how is it not lessening competition for HMV, which owns Waterstones, to buy Ottakar’s? In central Edinburgh, there are already three Waterstones stores and only one Ottakar’s store. The only other sizeable bookshop is Blackwells, and that company is in financial trouble too. Maybe HMV should drop the H.

Mind you, whoever takes over whom, it probably won’t make a blind bit of difference to the fact that it’s nigh on impossible to find a decent poetry section in any big bookshop these days. Tragically, small, independent bookshops are also under pressure from online sales. Nothing comes close to a good, leisurely browse among a good stock of books in a good shop, but might it soon be a matter of history?

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. Rob Mackenzie permalink
    19/05/2006 21:22

    I’ve a feeling there is now one less Ottakars in Edinburgh. Have a look next time you’re in George Street. It looked closed-up to me.

    Apparently, only 20 percent of poetry books are sold in bookshops. The other 80 percent sell in other ways – I guess readings, festivals, internet, personal sales, begging people on your hands and knees etc.

  2. Andrew Philip permalink
    21/05/2006 20:50

    I find the pleasure of browsing the shelves is much less in the massive book warehouses beloved of Waterstones or Borders. There’s something much warmer, more intimate–more human–about smaller bookshops. Most secondhand bookshops fit the bill. I wonder whether there’s any connection between that and poetry sales from the high street shelves.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: