What can exploring Scots in the classroom do?
- Contribute towards the Curriculum for Excellence Literacy and English experiences and outcomes.
- Address the four capacities in CfE.
- Help to engage and enthuse Scots-speaking pupils.
- Improve metacognitive awareness and skills by clearly delineating between Scots and English.
Longer projects allow scope for involving other departments, e.g.:
- Art: pupils take photographs of their area that are then used to inspire shape poems. The poems can be superimposed on the images and could be worked into a creative display to enhance a public area of the school.
- Music: pupils could write and arrange music for a ballad they have written.
- Enterprise: pupils’ writing could be used to create Scots language products. Always popular with parents and grannies!
- Modern Languages: as part of Scots sessions, pupils could explore translations of German poetry, comparing them with the originals and translations in English.
> Back to Schools Events